Aaron Neville : Nature Boy: The Standards Album
Four-time Grammy-winner Aaron Neville lends his iconic voice to this collection of standards from the American Song Book, including \Summertime
New Orleans crooner Aaron Neville is known for many things: he first scored an R&B hit with "Tell it Like it Is" in the '60s; his duets with Linda Ronstadt have exposed him to wider audiences; and he sings with his siblings in the Neville Brothers. Produced and arranged by keyboardist Rob Mounsey, the material is culled from a variety of pop and jazz standards. With a rhythm section consisting of bassist Ron Carter, drummer Grady Tate, and guitarist Anthony Wilson, Neville puts his Crescent City charm on old favorites such as "Danny Boy" with guitarist Ry Cooder; "Since I Fell For You" with his saxophonist brother, Charles Neville; and a silken rendition of "Cry Me a River" with tenor sax titan Michael Brecker. Ms. Ronstadt guest stars on "Blame It on My Youth," with Roy Hargrove providing the creamy Clifford Brown-tones. Even as he sings Gershwin's "Summertime" as a reggae number, Aaron Neville's vivid voice echoes the eternal tones of the late Benny Carter's vibrato-rich alto sax sound. One question: Why wasn't this done before? --Eugene Holley, Jr.
1. [3:40] Summertime (Album Version)
2. [4:10] Blame It On My Youth (Album Version)
3. [4:29] The Very Thought Of You (Album Version) [feat. Linda Ronstadt]
4. [3:36] The Shadow Of Your Smile (Album Version)
5. [4:32] Cry Me A River (Album Version)
6. [2:41] Nature Boy (Album Version)
7. [4:19] Who Will Buy? (Album Version)
8. [4:56] Come Rain Or Come Shine (Album Version)
9. [4:12] Our Love Is Here To Stay (Album Version)
10. [4:50] In The Still Of The Night (Album Version)
11. [5:06] Since I Fell For You (Album Version)
12. [2:29] Danny Boy (Album Version)
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.