Aretha Franklin : The Great American Songbook
Aretha Franklin is one of the giants of soul music, and indeed of American pop as a whole. More than any other performer, she epitomized soul at its most gospel-charged. Her astonishing run of late-'60s hits earned her the title "Lady Soul," which she has worn uncontested ever since.
With these songs by America’s greatest composers, Aretha Franklin paved the path to her own greatness. From standards to bebop to gospel and blues, these recordings are indelible snapshots of a special time in the career of a musical legend; a portrait, if you will, of the artist as a young woman.
This stand-alone CD features classic American songs by such classic American composers and lyricists as Billy Strayhorn, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, the Gershwin Brothers, Oscar Hammerstein, Johnny Mercer, Jerome Kern and Hank Williams.
1. [3:17] Little Brown Book
2. [2:54] Trouble In Mind (Mono Mix)
3. [3:14] Try a Little Tenderness
4. [2:51] It Ain't Necessarily So
5. [2:46] How Deep Is the Ocean
6. [4:35] Cold, Cold Heart
7. [2:30] Love for Sale
8. [2:31] How Glad I Am
9. [2:51] Skylark
10. [4:33] This Bitter Earth
11. [2:16] Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive
12. [3:30] What A Diff'rence A Day Made
13. [4:53] Only The Lonely
14. [2:22] Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody
15. [3:01] God Bless The Child
16. [3:07] Say It Isn't So
17. [2:40] Are You Sure
18. [3:17] That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day)
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.