Devo & Ennio Morricone & Seu Jorge & Mark Mothersbaugh & The Zombies & Scott Walker & Sven Libaek & Apartment 26 & David Bowie : The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Oscarr-nominated writer/director Wes Anderson ('Rushmore,' 'The Royal Tenenbaums') has assembled an all-star cast to set sail for outrageous misadventures on the high seas in this exciting & wildly original comedy. Eccentric, down-but-not-out oceanographer Steve Zissou (Murray) & his motley crew - Team Zissou - find themselves in troubled waters when they attempt to track down the mysterious 'jaguar shark' that ate his partner while filming a documentary of their latest adventure. Adding to his nautical nightmares, Zissou must contend with a beautiful journalist (Blanchett) assigned to write a profile, & a new member of the team who might possibly be his long-lost son (Wilson). The unsinkable Zissou faces hilarious complications trying to keep his expedition afloat while bailing out from budgetary woes & a host of other challenges (including a close encounter with marauding pirates).
Director Wes Anderson's jewel of a comic-character study revolves around the quirks and obsessions of Bill Murray's titular Cousteau-esque deep-sea adventurer and his motley crew of associates. As they did for the director's equally sublime Royal Tenenbaums, Anderson and music super Randall Poster stitch their eclectic source material into a warm, subtly focused new cinemusic whole. Mark Mothersbaugh's original Casio-baroque cues are the perfect complement for Australian film composer Sven Libaek's compelling slices of vintage exotica, while Ziggy Stardust-era David Bowie largely provides the musical subtext, either directly or in earnest, through live acoustic renditions by Brazilian troubadour/film costar Seu Jorge. Seasoning the mix to near perfection are smart, vintage Britpop contributions by Scott Walker and the Zombies, Iggy and the Stooges thrashing "Search and Destroy," the evocative Iberian fire of Paco DeLucia, and Joan Baez's dramatic read of Morricone's Sacco & Vanzetti theme, "Here's to You." -- Jerry McCulley
1. [0:57] Shark Attack Theme (Album Version)
2. [4:40] Loquasto International Film Festival (Score)
3. [3:43] Life On Mars?
4. [3:21] O Astronauta De Mármore (Starman)
5. [1:38] Let Me Tell You About My Boat (Score)
6. [2:24] Rebel Rebel (Album Version)
7. [2:52] Zissou Society Blue Star Cadets/Ned's Theme Take 1 (Score)
8. [4:07] Gut Feeling (Album Version)
9. [2:01] Open Sea Theme (Album Version)
10. [3:12] Rock N' Roll Suicide (Album Version)
11. [3:07] Here's To You (Album Version)
12. [3:56] We Call Them Pirates Out Here (Score)
13. [3:27] Search And Destory
14. [2:58] La Nina De Puerta Oscura (Album Version)
15. [3:24] Life On Mars? (Album Version)
16. [4:15] Ping Island/Lightning Strike Rescue Op (Score)
17. [3:41] Five Years (Album Version)
18. [1:26] 30 Century Man
19. [1:33] The Way I Feel Inside
20. [3:15] Queen Bitch (Album Version)
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.