Ella Fitzgerald : The Best of the Song Books
Trying to cull a single-CD "Best of" from the 16-CD set of The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books may seem like a daunting task, but it's also foolproof. The complete set is a monument to the century's greatest songs and, arguably, its greatest singer, and this selection is a series of gems programmed to simulate a Fitzgerald performance, carefully sequencing joyous uptempo swingers and moving ballads. Recorded between 1956 and 1964, Fitzgerald's finest years, the CD includes arrangements by Nelson Riddle, Billy May, and Buddy Bregman, as well as a superb rendering of "I've Got It Bad" with the Ellington orchestra and Johnny Hodges. Balancing the orchestral settings are some intimate small-group performances, including a witty rendition of Cole Porter's "Miss Otis Regrets" and Rodgers and Hart's "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered." This is an ideal introduction to the "Song Books," a selection so good it will appeal to owners of the box sets. --Stuart Broomer
1. [2:35] Something's Gotta Give
2. [3:55] Love Is Here To Stay
3. [7:04] Bewitched, Bothered, And Bewildered
4. [2:58] I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm
5. [3:24] The Lady Is A Tramp [feat. Buddy Bregman Orchestra]
6. [6:15] I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
7. [3:03] Miss Otis Regrets (She's Unable To Lunch Today)
8. [3:30] 'S Wonderful
9. [2:24] Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea
10. [5:54] Love For Sale
11. [3:11] They Can't Take That Away From Me
12. [4:54] Midnight Sun (1964 Version)
13. [2:44] Hooray For Love
14. [3:46] Why Was I Born?
15. [3:26] Cotton Tail
16. [3:31] Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.