The Brecker Brothers : The Bottom Line Archive Series: (Live 1976)
Why is this the first and only official live release by The Brecker Brothers Band, you ask? Perhaps surprisingly, it documents a group that rarely played live, much less toured extensively. This is due in part to a 1970 s music world with the constraints of a vital studio scene, wherein virtuoso musicians were kept busy tracking for television, movies, commercials, and all styles of solo spots and horn sections - regardless of musical style. We were making a living in the recording studios, recalls Brecker. The clubs paid next to nothing, as did 'opening act' gigs. Clive Davis was always begging us to go out on the road, but we weren't going to blow the studio work.
Without a doubt, loud & proud describes this first Brecker Brothers Band in action. The group is put into 4-wheel drive by the sleekly-grooving, well-oiled machine that is the nimble rhythm team of Will Lee, Chris Parker and Sammy Figueroa. They constantly supply the connective tissue and hold down an undeniable and indelible groove. Keyboardist Grolnick s electric piano solos are oh-so-elegant, and he delivers the necessary clavinet funk. Guitarist Steve Khan steps up as yet another of the band s dynamic soloists, and he makes sure to bring the rock when the rock is required. The resultant blend of mayhem and form, abandon and razor-sharp execution, makes for an unparalleled meeting of clan-collective minds.
THE BRECKER BROTHERS: Live at The Bottom Line (March 6, 1976)
2) Jungle Walk
4) Band Introductions
5) Night Flight
6) Keep It Steady [The Brecker Bump]
7) A Creature of Many Faces
8) If You Want To Boogie, Forget It
9) It Took a Long Time [featuring David Sanborn]
10) Sneakin' Up Behind You
11) Night Flight* [Alternate Take]
1. [7:10] Rocks (Live)
2. [4:28] Jungle Walk (Live)
3. [9:46] Cactus (Live)
4. [1:46] Band Introductions (Live)
5. [6:31] Night Flight (Live)
6. [4:45] Keep It Steady (The Brecker Bump) [Live]
7. [11:11] A Creature of Many Faces (Live)
8. [5:40] If You Want to Boogie, Forget It (Live)
9. [3:44] It Took a Long Time (feat. David Sanborn) [Live]
10. [8:55] Sneakin' up Behind You (Live)
11. [6:36] Night Flight (Alternate Take) [Live]
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.