The Who : The Kids Are Alright
Out for the first time on CD with all the original artwork, plus 20-bit remastering. A lot of tracks (e.g. Long Live Rock ) available here and nowhere else!
Having been involved in one of the most painfully overwrought rock films ever produced (Ken Russell's Tommy), it was only just that the Who should also be the subject of one of the best rockumentaries ever--Jeff Stein's The Kids Are Alright. Inveterate Who fan Stein largely eschewed interviews and critical overinterpretation, instead wisely focusing on the band's musical performances as captured on TV appearances and in concert. That sensibility makes this soundtrack a rare showcase of the Who at their performing peak, gathering many previously unreleased live performances ("My Wife," "Young Man Blues," a medley of "Join Together/Roadrunner/My Generation Blues") some key outtakes (the anthem "Long Live Rock"), and especially some great TV turns that could occasionally be literally explosive, à la their incomparable Smother Brothers appearance. Stein's only staged performances, "Baba O'Riley" and the cynically anthemic "Won't Get Fooled Again," turned out to be as historic as they were electric. Filmed just months before Keith Moon's untimely 1978 death, the performances stand as his final public performance. This is the Who at their best; it seldom gets any better. --Jerry McCulley
1. [4:28] My Generation (Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Version)
2. [2:01] I Can't Explain (Shindig Version)
3. [2:11] Happy Jack (Soundtrack Version)
4. [4:15] I Can See For Miles (Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour Remixed Version)
5. [3:22] Magic Bus (Edit Mono Version)
6. [3:56] Long Live Rock (Single Mix)
7. [2:49] Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (Ready Steady Go! Version)
8. [5:43] Young Man Blues (London Coliseum Live Version)
9. [5:58] My Wife (Gaumont State Theatre Live Version)
10. [5:25] Baba O'Riley (Shepperton Live Version)
11. [7:24] A Quick One While He's Away (Live "Rock And Roll Circus" Version)
12. [1:45] Tommy Can You Hear Me? (Extended Version)
13. [3:00] Sparks (Edit Woodstock Live Version)
14. [2:47] Pinball Wizard (Woodstock Live Version)
15. [5:19] See Me, Feel Me (Woodstock Live Version)
16. [9:51] Join Together / Roadrunner/My Generation Blues (The Silver Dome Live Version)
17. [9:20] Won't Get Fooled Again (Shepperton Live Version)
Questions & Answers
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.